Friday, May 28, 2010

the flip side

...if you are wise and know the art of travel, let yourself go on the stream of the unknown and accept whatever comes in the spirit in which the gods may offer it. - Freya Stark


We're on Koh Pha Gnan. It's busy here at the moment as the full moon approaches on the 29th. Haad Rin is famous for hosting full moon parties every month, so we're here to check it out. We have some preconceived judgments about what it's going to be like, but I figure that it's best to experience it first before completely writing it off. For one, I love to dance, and the thought of being on a beautiful sandy beach surrounded by ocean and palm trees, while listening to funky music and dancing my heart out under a full moon... well, it sounds pretty awesome.On the other hand, parties like these tend to involve heavy drinking and indulging in other things that just don't appeal to me. I guess I'm different than most people my age, or at least that's how I feel. Often I find myself wondering where I fit in in the world... where are the people who just want to connect on a deeper level and have a mind-altering conversation? I'm sorry to point it out, but most of the people congregating here fit the stereotypical Abercrombie & Fitch asthetic: blonde, fit, and tanned.

We spent a couple days on Koh Samui, another island just south of Pha Gnan and Tao. We didn't know what to expect when we arrived, though we soon discovered that Koh Samui is a retreat island for Europeans on vacation. The comforts of home are easily accessible, which is apparent when walking down the streets. Subway, KFC, McDonalds, 7 Elevens on every block, and other chain restaurants are littered everywhere.

Another disturbing occcurence in Samui was the evident objectification of the Thai people, not just women, but young girls, and what Thailand is infamous for: the exotic lady boy. We noticed an abundance of older white men with young Thai girls hanging off their arms. From where we were sitting, the exchange almost seemed like more of a transaction than a relationship. Perhaps it was a mutual agreement, in that the women were getting money for their services, but I can't help but think about our (Canadian) society where women are more liberated in excercising their right to choose...
I remember back when I was in university taking a Sociology of Gender course and reading several articles on the seedy underground of the sex slave market in Thailand (among other third world countries). So much goes on the world that we turn a blind eye to, and in some cases, I can understand not wanting to hear about these evils. At the same time, as long as no one addresses these issues seriously, they will continue to occur. Thailand will continue to make money off of it's people as long as the demand exists. Even Canada (and the rest of North America) contains it's own sex slave market, but what isn't publicized doesn't exist, as in ignorance is bliss.

There are also tons of tattoo shops everywhere in Thailand that we've been so far. It kind of cheapens tattoos and makes it seem like anyone can be a tattoo artist. It gives me the impression that tattoos are the latest trend in souvenirs.... tourists come here and get a novelty tattoo to take home with them. Though, with all that said, we have met a couple of really talented artists and they've both seemed pretty laid back compared to other artists who try to sell you a tattoo like any other vendor selling trinkets. "I make tattoo for you. Maybe you pick something off wall?" 

On May 24th we rented a motor bike and drove up a mountain close to our bungalow on Samui. Chris dropped the bike on it's side and I went flying, scraping up my hands and knee. Luckily I'm healing up pretty quickly, though now I'm afraid of getting on a bike again... 

We did wind up trekking through some jungle to a waterfall, which was pretty cool.
 











On a lighter note, we've encounted some wildlife: frogs, lizards, big spiders, ANTS!!, buuuugs, water buffalo, and dogs (yes they are wild here and have large testicles that dangle). We even had an unexpected visitor last night. Just before bed, as Chris was reading "Life of Pi' out loud, I noticed a dark shadow dart across our wall. Through our open window, a large (the largest we've seen yet at over a foot long) lizard made it's way into our room. It was awesome.





--
Travel tip of the day:

Don't bring a lot of stuff!! You might think you need it, but you don't. This is coming from someone who collected tons of stuff for most of her life.... now is the time to minimize and simplify. Also, you can buy pretty much everything you need here. That fear of not being able to get the things that we might need here in Thailand was quickly demystified after walking into a 7 Eleven and seeing all the neccessary toiletries that any Westerner could ever want. They say that you should pack your 50 litre backpack and then half everything winding up with all you should bring. It's hard to do this, but I've realized that it's neccessary. I wound up cutting out a lot of stuff from my pack before leaving Canada and have found that I havn't missed any of it. In fact, I'm finding that I can get rid of more stuff now that I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment